Monday, 12 April 2010

Resolve and Absolve

Monday morning, I am at one of the major telco retailer to buy an iPhone. I wanted to change my current phone plan to join the iPhone tribe. I was told I could not do so as my current phone had contact with moisture as so says the red sticker at the back of my E71. I decided to live with my Nokia which had no major issues with my current needs. It still works fine. I left the shop empty as the customer service representative did not offer me any alternatives.

Reflecting back, I am disappointed. Seeing from both a business and consumer point of view. Why?

Through the eyes of a customer, there is no effort on the customer service representative to resolve my current need: Getting an iPhone and getting more business from me. Instead, they choose to tell me I have hit a dead end. I could not trade in and she did not tell me how much I need to top up to get what I want. I have to do the math myself?

As a consultant, I would have used the Resolve and Absolve model to empower each customer facing representative. Resolve the problem of the customer need as the top priority. If that is not met, little else really matters. Find out what is the tipping point (cost-benefit of not having the phone) and create value (opportunity cost of not having the phone).

Finally, absolve the customer need of not having the desired phone by showing alternatives. Ask: What could we do to make sure this customer walk out of the door buying something? Absolve the customer guilt of not getting the phone he wants. Probably it is a lot to ask for a young lady who just filling in during the holidays but generic good service is necessary not a luxury. So is a Green branded customer service that sets them apart from the Red and Orange telco brands.

Please leave your comments, if any.

No comments: